Training Bodyguards for VIP Protection
- April 10, 2020
- Posted by: Moise Louissaint
- Category: Misc. Security, Private Investigations
The term “bodyguard” is still widely used, although in today’s world of personal protection it’s now somewhat outdated. In the past, it was applied to anyone who was employed to protect an individual, with a stereotype image of muscle-men presenting an intimidating barrier between the general public and their client.
Today, while bodyguards still exist, the industry has become more highly-regulated, with the most highly qualified personnel going by the name of close protection officers.
The following discusses the extended training needed to carry out the ultimate in VIP protection.
VIP Protection: The definition
- The role of the bodyguard
- VIP, close protection, and executive protection
The role of the bodyguard
As already mentioned, the old school bodyguard tends to have a physically imposing appearance. It’s this that acts as the primary deterrent to unwanted attention. Bodyguards work reactively to threats and usually undertake a high profile role. If they do carry out driving roles they don’t generally offer qualified advanced driving tactics and, in many cases, they might not hold confirmed qualifications and/or documentation.
VIP, close protection, and executive protection
Today’s VIP protection is more usually carried out by close protection and executive protection officers. These professionals offer a rather different service, as characterized by the following:
– Offer a proactive solution that includes the identification and mitigation of risk to their client
– Generally low profile—carrying out an unobtrusive role that allows their client to carry on with their day-to-day life as far as is practicable.
– Trained in risk assessment, unarmed combat (armed combat in some cases) surveillance, and intelligence gathering
– Fully checkable credentials, insured, and compliant with state and country laws
– Often trained in defensive driving techniques
– Taking further aspects into account, such as their client’s family, data protection, living environment, transportation, and more.
Training Bodyguards for VIP Protection
The jump from bodyguard to close protection or executive protection officer involves extensive training. Regulated courses involve instruction in many areas, including the following:
– Responsibilities of the private security sector
– The security officer and the law
– Health and safety
– Communication skills
– Primary roles and responsibilities
– Threat assessment and risk analysis
– Surveillance awareness
– Operational planning
– Route selection and journey management
– Search procedures
– Venue security
– Incident management
– Conflict management
– Technology and systems in the security environment
– Communication, reporting, and record-keeping
Other additional elements of training bodyguards for VIP protection include firearms training, first aid and first responder training (including AED use), unarmed combat, concealed weapon and tactical shooting, driving skills, route planning, and more.
Each US state has slightly different laws regarding the legalities regarding registration as a close protection or executive protection officer. As the industry evolves and becomes more regulated, so the importance of training bodyguards for VIP protection duties increases. For those who want to hire their services, it’s imperative to select those with relevant qualifications and experience to ensure the ultimate protection.
Don’t Leave Security to Chance: Trust Fast Guard Service for World-Class VIP Protection
An industry-leading security firm, Fast Guard Service, provides the ultimate in VIP and executive protection in all locations around the world. Their expertise brings bespoke security solutions for anyone requiring protective services. Their experienced close protection officers can be hired to work in all countries, no matter how hostile the territory, thanks to Fast Guard’s extensive database of operatives with direct regional experience.
Whether you require VIP protection for a single person, individual location, or a fully tailored package to ensure the safety of ex
tended family and during all aspects of travel, Fast Guard offers the ultimate trusted solution.
For a discreet and confidential inquiry contact Fast Guard Security to schedule a professional consultation.