Advantages of CCTV Cameras
- April 28, 2020
- Posted by: Moise Louissaint
- Category: Event Security News, Misc. Security
The use of CCTV cameras for both business and domestic premises brings many benefits. The ease in which they can be integrated into new or pre-existing security systems, coupled with their relative affordability, means the asset is being embraced on an ever-increasing scale.
The following discusses the advantages of CCTV in commercial and home environments.
Advantages of CCTV for Businesses
- The benefits
- Examples of strategic CCTV use
By far the most overriding benefit of CCTV in a commercial setting is the deterrent. The simple act of having cameras in place strongly persuades most would-be wrongdoers to seek a less secure location to carry out their crimes.
Other advantages of CCTV are:
– The ability to monitor activities: Both workers and visitors will appreciate the peace of mind that such monitoring brings. It allows CCTV operators and security to quickly become aware of any potentially hazardous situations and take the appropriate action.
– Collation of evidence: If a criminal act does take place, CCTV footage can be used as evidence and used in a court of law.
– Record keeping: By monitoring movements it’s possible to keep accurate records of staff on-site, deliveries, and visitor footfall.
– Loss prevention: Cameras allow companies to monitor and prevent theft, both from customers and workers.
– Settling disputes: If disagreements occur, such as altercations between a member of staff and a customer, or employee disputes, footage can be used to help bring the matter to a conclusion.
Examples of strategic CCTV use
– Allowing workers to visualize hard to access areas, such as in convenience stores and shops
– To monitor warehouse deliveries and dispatches
– Watching over a point of service (till) point
– Viewing outdoor areas, such as car parks
– As part of an access control system at entry and exit points
– Visualization of property during the hours of darkness
Advantages of CCTV at Home
- Reasons to have CCTV in the domestic setting
- Video surveillance laws
Reasons to have CCTV in the domestic setting
The use of CCTV at home has risen exponentially in recent years. This is, in part, due to the affordability of basic systems, but also because we’re becoming more aware of the ways we can utilize such monitoring.
Apart from the obvious reasons for having a domestic CCTV setup (property security, crime deterrent, etc.) the following are common uses of the technology.
– Observing callers without having to actively approach the door.
– Monitoring children, pets, and the elderly from remote locations.
– Checking your property while on vacation.
– Overseeing home help, such as cleaners, dog walkers, builders, etc.
– Watching out for deliveries.
– Monitoring of outside spaces, including driveways, gardens, patios, etc.
Video surveillance laws
The legalities of using CCTV differs quite dramatically state by state. In general, it’s accepted that you can utilize the technology to monitor your property, but this shouldn’t extend beyond the boundaries. In practice, this is a complex area to enforce.
For instance, you may have a doorbell camera so you can see who’s calling. For many, this would provide a view that goes beyond that which they own. However, unless you’re trying to use the footage in a legal dispute this isn’t likely to create a problem. In most cases, the use of CCTV at home is for personal monitoring.
If you’re concerned then you should take professional advice.
Contact Fast Guard Service for all CCTV and Security Needs
The global security company, Fast Guard Service, are the trusted source for companies and individuals around the world who utilize CCTV as an aspect of security monitoring. The challenge with installations is that every location is unique, meaning it’s imperative to bring an expert into the equation to ensure the best use of such a system.
In addition to this bespoke service, Fast Guard’s experienced team will ensure that you or your business is using CCTV monitoring within the realms of the law in the state/country concerned and advise you of any local anomalies you need to be aware of.
Find out more at //fastguardservice.com